Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Yes or No!

Just noticed an article in the UW Student Newspaper, Imprint, on MTSpace Theatre, and its artistic director, Majdi Bou-Matar. Of particular interest (to me, anyway) is the reference to this fall's production of Yes or No! with script by playwright Douglas Campbell, that is to say, myself, and not the famous Canadian actor of the same name. (There is a mistake in the article -- the writer has doubled the size of the cast -- there is one Canadian couple and one Yugoslav couple.) We have a cast. Rehearsals start next week -- I should say development, because Majdi uses a lot of improvisation in his process, and my script will be a kind of rough guide. When he said this after the final audition, I gave a laugh which came out like a whimper, which earned me a hug from the actor next to me. And Iva said "Then you'll have two plays!". Iva is recently from Macedonia, so we have one speaker of the language formerly known as Serbo-Croatian, when we'd wanted two, but there are Serbian language tapes at the KPL, so I'm sure Gary will be okay. Performances will be at the Registry Theatre.



October 25 - 30, 2006 Yes or No! - at the Registry Theatre, Kitchener, Ontario
On the night of the Quebec referendum, two couples are drawn into a crisis of their own Yes or No! A comedy about sex, politics, identity and… Halloween!