Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Hon. Peter MacKay writes me

Yesterday I received an email from the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of Foreign Affairs. It was in response to an email I sent on the 17th of July (of this year) just after our Prime Minister so memorably referred to Israel's bombing of Lebanon as "measured". I objected that this was (at the very least) an abuse of the English language. I sent it to our M.P., Andrew Telegdi; to the Foreign Affairs critics for the Liberals, N.D.P. and Bloc Quebecois; and to Peter MacKay, and (of course) the Prime Minister. I did not receive a reply -- and usually they are so eager to respond! (In fairness, the B.Q. critic could hardly be expected to care about an abuse of the English language.)

But in my inbox, yesterday, this:

A18627-2006 IN REPLY TO YOUR EMAIL OF JULY 17, 2006
Thank you for your email of July 17, 2006, co-addressed to the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, Prime Minister, and to other members of Parliament, in which you express your concerns regarding the upsurge of violence in the Middle East. I regret the delay in replying to you.

I have taken good note of the issues raised in your correspondence and I understand your concerns in this respect.
Etc. etc. Everything you might expect. Thank you, Peter! Just a wee bit late. Curious you should remember me. My play "Yes or No!" will be running at the Registry Theatre in Kitchener, Oct 25-29th if you happen to be in town. Perhaps we can arrange a discussion of the events in the Middle East with members of the company.