Monday, October 16, 2006

Silky voice: check. Brain: oops...

On CKWR this evening. Majdi spoke words, sentences and whole paragraphs. He answered questions as if he had been waiting all his life for them to come.

Then it was my turn. Managed to answer "What got you interested in playwriting?" Then the question I had been expecting and preparing for all weekend. Where did I get the idea for the play? "Well, I have been thinking about that." I announced with a great deal of confidence -- and then Mary-Lou looked away from me to the monitor -- and this kicked off the "pause until I get eye-contact again" reflex -- but she didn't look back -- and I said "A dream ... ah ... dream ... ummmmmm" -- Majdi reached over to still my drumming fingers -- and at this point the "I'm an idiot" reflex kicked in. Anyway, got out of it somehow.

Afterwards, I complimented Majdi on his smoothness, and he said "But Douglas, this is what I studied in Lebanon: Radio and TV broadcasting. I've spent hours in radio studios. So it's not talent, just hard work."

So I didn't feel so bad. I'm just the writer, remember that.